Community Museum Society Welcome Center
238 E. Main St.
The Whitehead Infirmary established in 1938 by Dr. James Whitehead (1906-2004) now serves as the Community Museum Society Welcome Center. The infirmary originally served as a 14 bed obstetric hospital but quickly became the primary acute care facility for the community. Dr. Whitehead performed general surgery and handled traumatic injuries in addition to deliveries. The infirmary closed in 1959 but remained open as a clinic until his retirement in 1986. Be sure to stop by and view the public artwork on display.